Articles on Occupational Safety and Health
Published in the International Bi-Monthly Newsletter,
Wood Machining News, 1984-2019
Ryszard Szymani, Ph.D., Editor/Publisher
- NFPA 652: Standard on the Fundamentals of Combustible Dust, WMN, September/October 2019
- Conference on Safety Culture 2019, WMN, September/October 2019
- SFPA Announces 2018 Sawmill Safety Awards, WMN, July/August 2019
- Latest Developments in the Field of Dust and Chip Removal at Overhead Routers, WMN, March/April 2019.
- OSHA Again Cites Wisconsin Pallet Manufacturer, WMN, January/February 2019
- Improving Workplace Safety with Recognition and Rewards Programs a how-to guide for long-term behavior change (abstract), WMN, September/October 2018, p.4.
- Machine Safety Software that is Revolutionizing the Industry, WMN, September/October 2018, p.3.
- British Columbia Forest Safety Council and FP Innovations Work Together, WMN, September/October 2018, p.2.
- Health Assessment of Tree Trunk by Using Acoustic -laser Technique and Sonic Tomography (Abstract), WMN, July/August 2018, p.4.
- Electronic Submission of Injury and Illness Records to OSHA, WMN, May/June 2018, p.3.
- Silica Standard Enforcement by OSHA Canadian and U.S. Lumber, WMN, May/June 2018, p.3.
- Harbor Freight Tools Recalls Chainsaws Due to Serious Injury, WMN, May/June 2018, p.2.
- American National Standards Institute: ANSI Update, WMN, May/June 2018, p.2.
- SpeeeCo® and Woods® Recalls 400-Way Wedge Accessory for Log Splitters, WMN, March/April, 2018, p.2.
- Successful Safety Program by Boise Cascade LLC, WMN, January/February 2018, p.2.
- Stora Enso Pledges to Reduce Carbon Emissions, WMN, January/February 2018, p.2.
- Special Report: China Market Impact from Environmental Protection Investigations, WMN, November/December 2017, p.1.
- A Safe(R) Bet: Weyerhaeuser's New Safety Program Strives to Further Minimize Serious Injuries, Sheila Cain (Abstract), WMN, September/October 2017, p.4.
- Lumber Liquidators Settles Flooring Formaldehyde Class Actions, WMN, September/October 2017, p.3.
- STIHL Inc. Recalls MS 461 Chain Saw Due to Leaking Fuel Lines, WMN, September/October 2017, p.3.
- Top 10 Most Frequently Cited Workplace Safety Violations in the U.S.A, WMN, September/October 2017, p.2.
- Process Hazard Analysis in the Wood Pellet Industry, WMN, September/October 2017, p.1.
- OSHA Penalties to Increase 78%, WMN, July/August 2017, p.3.
- Sawmill Safety Awards Announced, WMN, March/April, 2017, p.3.
- OSHA's New Anti-Retaliation Protections, WMN, March/April, 2017, p.2.
- Machine Forklift LED Warning Spotlight, WMN, January/February, 2017, p.3.
- Makita Recalls Circular Saws Due to Laceration Hazard and New MAFELL Portable Circular Saw K85Ec, WMN, November/December 2016, p.3.
- OSHA’s New Whistleblowing Requirements, November/December 2016, p.2.
- Machine Guarding for Robotic Devices, WMN, September/October, 2016, p.2.
- OSHA Penalties to Increase 78%, WMN, July/August, 2016, p.3.
- Robert Bosch Tools Recalls Grinders Due to Risk of Burns, WMN, May/June, 2016, p.3.
- MEMIC Honors Lumbra Hardwoods for Outstanding Workplace Safety, WMN, May/June, 2016, p.3.
- Sitting, Standing and Moving on the Job, WMN, March/April, 2016, p.3.
- SFPA Sawmill Safety Awards, WMN, March/April, 2016, p.2.
- New Table Saw With The Active Response Technology™ REAXX. WMN, July/August 2015, p.3.
- Safety Issues in Sawmills in California and Oregon – Part 3. WMN, March/April 2015, p.2.
- Dudley Lumber Company Safety Issues and Safety Issues in Sawmills in California. Part 2. WMN, January/February 2014, p.2.
- Recognizing Hazards and Combustible Dust Hazards,WMN, July/August 2014, p.2.
- Lockout & Tagout: How to Safeguard Your Employees and Avoid Costly Citations and Penalties, WMN, May/June 2013, p.3.
- New Saw Blades (SuperSilent) from AKE Knebel GmbH, WMN, May/June 2013, p.3.
- Safety Issues in Sawmills in California, WMN, March/April 2013, p.2
- Update on Table Saw Safety, WMN, November/December 2012, p.3.
- Faulty Switch for a Band Saw Motor in Burns Lake Sawmill Causes Fire Which Kills 2 and Injures 19 Workers,WMN, July/August 2012, p. 3.
- Lion Technology Prepares Industry for New HazCom Standard with Monthly Web Seminars, WMN, March/April 2012, p.3.
- DeWalt Power Saw with Riving Knife, WMN, January/February 2012, p.2-3.
- OSHA 2011 Inspection Plan, WMN, November/December, 2011, p.1.
- American Patent Act Reform, WMN, September/October, 2011, p.1.
- OSHA to Define New Standards for Handling Industrial and Wood Dust, WMN, March/April 2011, p.2.
- Woodworking Safety Issues in Europe, WMN, January/February, 2011, p.3.
- Industrial Dust and Wood Dust, WMN, November/December 2010, p.2.
- WhirlwindTM – Table Saw Emergency Blade Brake, WMN, November/December 2010, p.3.
- U.S. Workers Risking Injury by not Wearing Required Safety Equipment, WMN, September/October, 2010, p.2.
- OSHA’S Significant Enforcement Effort in 2010, WMN, May/June 2010, p.3.
- U.S. Workers Taking Chances with Safety by Not Wearing PPE, WMN, September/October 2009, p.3.
- Machine Safeguarding During Planing and Molding Operations, WMN, September/October 2009, p.3.
- Foreign Manufacturers Legal Accountability Act of 2009, WMN, July/August, 2009, p.3.
- PROTOOL UniverS Sword Saw and Portable Power Saw with Riving Knife, WMN, May/June 2009, p.3.
- Annual U.S. Litigation Trends Survey, WMN, November/December 2008, p.2.
- Raimann SafetyPlus New Gang Ripsaw Anti-kickback System, WMN, November/December 2008, p.3.
- National Survey of American Workers’ Attitudes on Safety Issues, WMN, September/October 2008, p.3.
- A New Safety System Using 3D Imaging Technology, WMN, September/October 2008, p.3.
- IAPA Small Business Safety Calculator, WMN, May/June 2008, p.3.
- SawStop wins WMIA’s Partner-of-the-Year Award, WMN, May/June 2008, p.3
- Violation of Intellectual Property Rights at Trade Fairs, WMN, January/February 2008, p.1.
- OSHA Issues New Combustible Dust Instruction, WMN, January/February 2008, p.2.
- Portable Power Saws with Retractable Riving Knife, WMN, November/December 2007, p.3.
- OSHA Free Consultation Service, WMN, November/December 2007, p.2.
- DOE Launches Online Patent Search Tool, WMN, September/October 2007, p.3.
- 85 Percent of Safety Professionals Surveyed at NSC Congress: Top Workplace Safety Issues and Survey Methodology, WMN, September/October 2007, p.2.
- The New Pull-Push Table Saw ERIKA 85 Ec, WMN, July/August 2007, p.3.
- Circular Saw Design with High Noise Reduction, WMN, July/August 2007, p.3.
- Combating Intellectual Property Theft, Copyright Infringement and Organized Piracy, WMN, March/April 2007, p.2.
- SierraPine Wins Industry Safety Award, WMN January/February 2007, p.3.
- Solutions in Safety Through Technology: ASSE Fall Symposium. WMN September/October 2006, p.1.
- Safety Issues with Multiple Rip Sawing Machines and Table Saws: Use of Workpiece Anti-Kickback Fingers. WMN January/February 2006, p.2
- Safeguarding of Table Saws – Shortcomings of Splitter and Blade Guard Assembly, WMN, November/December, 2005, p.2-3.
- Safety Issues: Product Liability Defenses – An Update on Warning Labels, WMN, September/October 2005, p.2
- Most Dangerous Jobs, WMN, September/October 2005, p.3.
- Revised Safety Requirements for Woodworking Machinery – ANSI 01.1 – 2004 Now Available, WMN May/June 2005, p.3
- Chain Saws Voluntary Standards are Curbing Injuries, WMN March/April 2005, p.3
- Safety in the Wood Products Industry, WMN, November/December 2004, p.3
- AWI Honors 22 Members for Exemplary Safety, WMN November/December 2004, p.2
- Safety Issues: Safe Design and Operation of Portable Circular Power Saws Part 2, WMN, March/April 2004, p.3
- Safety Issues: Safe Design and Operation of Portable Circular Power Saws, Part 1, WMN, January/February 2004, p.3
- Environmental Compliance Tool for Builders, WMN, September/October 2003, p.3
- Young and New Worker Safety Initiatives, WMN, September/October 2003, p.2
- SUVA Safety Equipment, WMN May/June 2003, p.3
- Wood Dust Added to Cancer List, WMN, January/February 2003, p.3
- Ergonomics Debate Resurfaces and OSHA Requirements Now in Spanish, January/February 2003, p.2
- Recall of Black & Decker Firestorm and Quantum Pro Drill/Drivers and Ryobi Recalls Circular Saw Lower Blade Guard, WMN, November/December 2002, p.3
- OSHA’S New Ergonomics Guidelines, WMN, November/December 2002, p.3
- New AWI Safety Solutions CD, WMN, September/October 2002, p.2
- Common Dust Collection Mistakes and Remedies, September/October 2002, p.3
- The Cutting Edge of Safety Video, WMN, January/February 2002, p.2
- Safety Issues of Portable Power Saws, WMN, November/December 2001, p.3
- OSHA Record Keeping Program from Summit Training Source, Inc., WMN, July/August 2001, p.2
- Underwriters Laboratories &UL) Standards for Safety Catalog, WMN, July/August 2001, p.2
- American National Standards for Safety Signs, WMN, July/August 2005, 2
- URGRAD, A Secured Radio-Controlled Emergency Stop System, WMN, July/August 2000, p.3
- Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAWS), WMN July-August 2001, p.3
- Online Access to ASME Codes and Standards, WMN November/December 2000, p.2
- OSHA’s Logging Safety on Internet, WMN, November/December 2000, p.2
- Laser Safety Training Course. WMN, November/December 2000, p.3
- SawStopTM Safety Brake System, WMN, September/October 2000, p.3
- Office Ergonomics: Safety by Design, WMN, September/October 2000, p.2
- OSHA’s New Ergonomics Guidelines and Ryobi Recalls Circular Saw Lower Blade Guard, Wood Machining News, November/December 2002, p.3.
- OSHA Record Keeping Program from Summit Training Source, Inc. and a general article on Underwriters Laboratories Standards and American National Standards for Safety Signs from Wood Machining News, July/August, 2001, p.2.
- In Questions and Answers, p.3 of WMN, September/October 2000, the two last paragraphs discuss the ANSI 01.1-1992 standard and European standards.
- Videos on Ergonomic: Ergonomic Safety and Ergonomics in Manufacturing, WMN, July/August 2000, p.3
- Grinding Fluid Which Reduces Cobalt Leaching from Carbide Tools, WMN March/April 2000, p.2
- Videos on Ergonomics, WMN July/August 2000, p.3
- Predictive Maintenance Software Upgrade, WMN, January/February 2000, p.2
- Safety Training Programs Catalog on CD-ROM, November/December 1999, p.3
- Study on Health Effects of Wood Dust, WMN November/December 1999, p.2
- U.S. National Safety Council Catalog, WMN, September/October 1999, p.2
- New Video Helps Employers Meet OSHA Requirements, WMN, July/August 1999, p.3
- Standards Development on the Internet, WMN, July/August 1999, p.3
- Standards Developments on the Internet and New Video Helps Employers Meet OSHA Requirements, WMN, July/August 1999, p.3
- Book Review, Handbook of Occupational Safety and Health, Second Edition, WMN, March/April, 1999, p.3
- Video Training Course on Machine Guarding, WMN, January/February 1999, p.2
- Carpal Tunnel Video for Training Workers, WMN, January/February 1999, p.3
- New Dust Collection System and Diagnostic Panel, WMN, November/December 1998, p.2
- Tyler Machinery Gang Ripsaw Safety Test Strips. WMN, September/October 1998, p.2
- Wood Dust Exposure and Worker Health Study, WMN, September/October 1998, p.2
- Sawing with Sound Control Maximat System, WMN, September/October 1998, p.1
- ASTM Develops Innovative System for On-Line Standards Development, WMN March/April 1998, p.3
- New CSI Software Automatically Establishes Alarm Limits, WMN September/October 1997, p.2
- Effects of Exposure to Cobalt During Maintenance of Stellite and Tungsten Carbide Tipped Saws, WMN, March/April 1997, p.3
- Safety in Wood Processing: Are you in Compliance?, WMN January/February 1997, p.2
- Woodshop Dust Control by Sandor Nagyszalanczy, Book Review, January/February 1997, p.3
- Electronic Motor Starter-Brake with Access Limiter, WMN September/October 1995, p.3.
- Highlights of Ligna Hanover ’95: The New Generation of Low-Noise Saw Blades, WMN May/June 1995, p.2.
- ISO 9000 Employee Training, January/February 1995, p.3
- Short Course on Compliance with New EC Product Regulations, November/December 1994, p.1
- Tool Crush Monitoring System, WMN November/December 1994, p.3
- Caution about the Anti-Kickback Saw Blades: Saw Blades with Chip Limiters, WMN July/August 1994, p.3
- ANSI Publishes Revised Standard for Woodworking Machinery and Readers Questions addresses OSHA and ANSI 01.1 -1992 Standard, WMN, January/February 1994, p.3
- Safety Requirements for Woodworking Machines: Approval of New U.S. Standard, WMN November/December 1992, p.3
- OSHA Proposes Ergonomics Standard, WMN November/December 1992, p.2
- New OSHA Publications, July/August 1992, p.3
- G-Series Short Stop ElectronicTM Motor Brakes, July/August 1992, p.3
- ISO 9000 Quality Assurance Standards, WMN, March/April 1992, p.2
- Highlights of Ligna Hanover ’91: Low Noise Circular Saws, WMN, May/June 1991, p.2
- Wood Machining Defects: Their Causes and Possible Remedies, Part 1, WMN, January/February, 1991, p.3
- Wood Machining Defects: Their Causes and Possible Remedies, Part 2: Raised Grain, WMN March/April 1991, p.3
- Dust Control with Anti-Static Abrasive Belts, November/December 1990, p.2
- Product Design and Manufacture 1992 Compliance with Standards and EC Requirements, September/October 1990, p.2
- Quiet Tooth Cutterhead System from Newman & Whitney, WMN, July/August 1990, p.3
- Conference on Health Issues in the Forest Products Industry, September/October 1989, p.1.
- Repetitive Motion Injury, WMN, November/December 1989, p.2
- Low-noise Circular Saw Blade from Leitz, September/October 1989, p.2
- Management Guidelines on Product Liability, September/October 1989, p.3
- New Exposure Limits for Wood Dust, WMN, March/April 1989, p.2
- Training Course for OSHA Compliance, WMN, January/February 1989, p.1
- Chain Saw “Kickback” Amendment, WMN, September/October 1984, p.3
- Safeguarding Woodworking Machines and Worker Safety, WMN, March/April 1986, p.2-3.
- ANSI Safety Requirements for Chain Saws Published, WMN, November/December 1986, p.3
- Health Effects of Wood Dust, WMN, January/February 1985, p.2
- Chain Saw “Kickback” Amendment, WMN September/October, 1984, p.3
- Low-Noise Laminated Circular Saws, WMN, January/February 1984, p.4
|R. Szymani, Ph.D., Director
& Technical Consultant
Wood Machining Institute
420 N. Civic Drive, #406
Walnut Creek, CA 94596, USA
Tel & Fax: (925) 943-5240